Skippers Canyon is a historic and scenic gorge located 15 minutes north of Queenstown. It stretches 22km in length and is accessed via the same road that leads to Coronet Peak ski field. Through the majestic Skippers Canyon runs the Shotover River – one of New Zealand's richest gold-bearing rivers.
Once a busy gold mining area the canyon was, and still is, accessed by the historic Skippers Road. Originally built by hand in the 1800s, it traverses the face of the canyon high above the powerful Shotover River. Along the road we will stop at historic houses, huts and even the school that served the gold miners’ families in the 1800s.
Skippers Road is regarded as one of New Zealand’s most spectacular roads and it has been named by some publications as one of the world’s top 50 most scenic road. With sweeping views along the gorge and of the Shotover River below, you’ll have countless photo opportunities at every turn! This would be one of the most scenic phot tours in New Zealand.
The Skippers Canyon Tour is our most popular tour and has a vast amount of subjects to photograph. This tour has you covered from amazing mountain photography, to waterfalls, right through to spectacular macro photography. This is one area not to be missed!
- 4 hour photography tour of the spectacular Skippers Canyon
- Will operate with just one person
- Choice of either 0830 or 1330 tour departure daily
- Expert tuition on hand at all times
- Canon DSLR camera equipment available for hire at no charge
- Travel in comfort and safety of our Toyota 4WD's
- Queenstown CBD accommodation pick up and drop off
- Tea / coffee and biscuits at half way point of tour